Entry Level Information Technology
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
We are looking for Software Developers and Information Technologists who are innovative, creative, problem solvers who get things done!
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, Real-time Computing and Cloud Computing. We offer exciting positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
We are looking for Information Technology students, graduating between January 2020 – June 2021 who:
- Have a steadfast drive for excellence
- Challenge themselves and their peers
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate a good work ethic
- Have a strong ability and willingness to learn
- Excel in a variety of job assignments
- Understand physics and math concepts, and can apply them to real applications
- Desire to deliver innovative solutions to complex problems
We have the following position available:
- Software Developer
- Software Developer in Test
- Data scientist
The Software Developer is responsible for developing solutions that drive innovation and competitive advantage. The roles encompass writing code to build and support GM’s systems, applications, and platforms as well as configuring, optimizing, and deploying packaged software (COTS). The Software Developer will interface with other project developers and architects to ensure that designs and quality are meeting GM requirements. Each Developer is envisioned to be part of the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) of a project: from initiation through deployment.
The Software Developer in Test will interface with other project members such as testers, product owners, business analysts and developers to ensure that designs and quality are meeting GM requirements. Each SDIT is envisioned to be part of the full SDLC of a project: from initiation through deployment and assumes the critical quality role in the software development process. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Requirements Review: Ability to work with the team to review, analyze, and provide feedback on the requirement to ensure accuracy and eliminate ambiguity
- Test Case Management: Where required; from test creation to execution and closure, adhere to established process & procedures to develop end to end test cases for positive, negative and edge case testing
- Functional Coding Principles and Basic Programming: Demonstrate basic programming skills and have an introductory knowledge of coding principles (object oriented, software design patterns, etc.)
- Automation Testing: Ability to follow code practices and recommended guidelines to write, review, and approve automated scripts. It is expected that scripting across multiple platforms is delivered over time (API, UI, and Native Mobile)
The Data Scientist will participate throughout the development cycle of projects, helping identify requirements, developing, testing, validating and deploying analytical solutions, including visualizations, predictive models, and algorithms.
By applying to this position, you will be considered for all the roles listed above. If selected for consideration, during your initial phone screen, we will ask your position preference and do our best to ensure that you are considered for your first choice. If selected for an interview, we will notify you of the specific role in advance.
Additional Job Description
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or STEM program
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above (2.8 preferred)
- Ability to relocate to one of our IT Innovation Centers: Detroit or Warren, Michigan; Roswell, Georgia; Austin, Texas; and Chandler, Arizona
- These roles may require you to work second or third shifts or be ready on call if needed.
- Experience with programming in Java, .NET or other languages
- Knowledge of XML and relational databases (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL)
- Familiarity with packaged software (e.g., SAP, Workday, SharePoint, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) as well as software development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall, etc.)
- Understanding of security, efficient code reuse, and software design
- Proficiency in computer programming, administration and/or scripting
- Knowledge of security architectures, tools and technologies
- Experience with designing secure applications and data protection
- Familiarity with security forensics, vulnerability assessment and policy implementation
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork – ability to work cross functionally
- Knowledge of infrastructure and IT trends such as Cloud Computing
- Familiarity with Dev Ops and Site Reliability Engineering Principles and Networking
Relocation assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan includes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.